- What is the effect of adding carbon monoxide to the following equilibrium system,
COCl2 CO + Cl2? .
The equilibrium will shift to the left
- Which of the following correctly describes an acid?
An acid is a proton donor.
- Chemical kinetics is the study of
- What is the conjugate acid of HCO3—?
- The following solutions (A through D) have the given pKa values. Which is the
weakest acid of the group?
pKa = 11.5
6.Which of the following is a solution of a STRONG acid?
0.10 M HCl
- A text book is 9.00 inches wide and 12.0 inches tall. Calculate the area (width
multiplied by height) in square centimeters that the textbook covers when it is closed.
- The rate of a reaction is 15.0M/min at room temperature. If the reaction is conducted in
a warmer environment, what is likely to happen to the reaction rate?
There is not enough information given to answer the question.
- Covalent bonds are formed when
atoms share electrons
- The pKa of acetic acid is 4.75. If acetic acid is found in a solution with a pH of 3.0,
which of the following is true?
Acetic acid exists predominately in the deprotonated form. C.
- The reaction CH4 + 2O2 CO2+ 2H2O is exothermic. Which of the following will drive
the reaction to the left?
An increase in temperature
- If the pH of a solution is 4.0, which of the following is correct?
The concentration of [H+] is larger than the concentration of [OH–]
- Following the naming rules covered in lecture, what is the name of K3PO4?
- One of the ways catalysts increase reaction rates is by
Providing a surface for the reaction to occur.
- Which of the following correctly describes ammonia?.
Ammonia is a weak, organic acid
- Which of the following pH values is for the most acidic solution?
pH = 0
- Which of the following has the substances arranged from lowest boiling point to highest?
C2H6, C4H10, H2O, NaCl
- In an energy diagram for an exothermic reaction, which of the following is true?
The energy of the reactants is lower than the energy of the products.
- What is the coefficient for NO after you balance the following equation: _ NO +
Cl2 ➔ NCl3 + _ O2
- What is the conjugate base of HSO4—?
- In the following reaction, how many grams of N2H4 had to react if 23.2 g water are
formed? N2H4 + 3 O2 + ➔ 2 NO2 + 2 H2O
20.6 g N2H4
- Which of the following is FALSE with respect to dynamic equilibrium?
The phrase can be applied to both physical and chemical conditions of a system
- When 4.0 g of NaOH is dissolved in 50.0 mL of aqueous solution the molarity of the
- Which of the following is a strong base?.
- What will occur if S is added to the following reaction after equilibrium has been
reached? SO2 ➔ S + O2 A.
the equilibrium will be shifted to the left
Atkins, P. (1978). Physical chemistry. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman.
Zumdahl, S. (1989). Chemistry (2nd ed.). Lexington, Mass.: D.C. Heath.