- How many significant figures are in the number 0.0030 g?
A. 1 B. 2 C. 4 D. 5
- Which of the following is equivalent to 1 �g?
A. 1000 ng B. 1000 kg C. 10�3 g D. 1000 mg
- If the density of a sample is given as 6.57 g/mL, what volume does a 22.5 g sample occupy?
A. 148 mL B. 3.42 mL C. 0.292 mL D. 6.57 mL
- The following unit, �C, is a measure of
A. mass B. volume C. temperature D. heat
- The dosage of a narcotic containing cough syrup is dispensed at the rate of 0.250 mL per kilogram
per dose for adult females. The prescription is written for three days and is to be taken four times per
day. What volume of the medication should be dispensed for a 108 lb adult female?
A. 59.5 mL B. 225 mL C. 1.02 mL D. 147 mL
- Which of the following would be considered a hypothesis?
A. The volume of a sample was measured at 1.86 mL
B. The color of the sample was recorded as clear green
C. The color of the sample changed to dark blue when 10.0 mL of acid were added to the sample,
and bubbles evolved from the mixture.
D. Since bases sometimes react with acids to produce gaseous products, the sample is likely some
kind of base.
- The energy in a chemical bond, such as a covalent bond, is an example of __ energy.
A. kinetic B. potential
- On a cool day in autumn, the temperature was 9.0�C. What does this correspond to in degrees
A. 5.0 �F B. 9.0 �F C. 16 �F D. 48 �F
- The number 5 X 10�3 can be written in full as:
A. 0.005 B. 0.05 C. 500 D. 500010. Convert 23 cm into inches and report the answer with the correct
number of sigfigs.
A. 0.11 in B. 9.1 in C. 9.055 in D. 58 in
- A quantitative measurement was recorded as: The mass = 25. Why is this measurement recorded
A. The measurement does not include any description of the sample.
B. The measurement does not have enough significant figures.
C. The measurement does not include the mass unit in which the measurement was taken.
D. None of the above. It is an example of an appropriate way to record a quantitative measurement.
- Convert one serving of vegetables (2.5 oz) to grams.
A. 0.014 g B. 0.88 g C. 71 g D. 11 g
- The dimensions of a room are typically given in feet, but carpeting is sold by the square yard. How
many square yards of carpet are required to cover the floor of a room that is 12 feet wide by 18 feet
long? There are 3 ft in one yard.
A. 12 yd2 B. 18 yd2 C. 24 yd2 D. 216 yd2
- What is the mass in g of 30.0 mL of a liquid if its density is 0.60g/mL?
A. 0.056 g B. 0.020 g C. 50. g D. 18 g
- The number 0.0004210 L expressed in scientific notation becomes
A. 4.21 X 10�4 L B. 4.210 X 10�3 L C. 4.210 X 10�4 L D. 4.210 X 104 L
- A patient is 6 feet 2 inches tall (1 ft = 12 in). Express this height in m and report the answer with 2
A. 29 m B. 1.9 m C. 74 m D. 188 m
- The side of a box was measured as 1.675 meters. Convert this measurement to centimeters.
A. 0.01675 cm B. 0.1675 cm C. 167.5 cm D. 1675 cm
- Which of the following numbers or conversions are exact?
A. 12 inches = 1 foot
B. 1 mL = 1000 �L
C. There are 12 children in the room
D. All of these are exact
- Convert 147 lb into kg.
A. 3.09 kg B. 30.6 kg C. 324 kg D. 66.7 kg
- A student is instructed to determine the density of an unknown. The mass of an empty beaker is
25.678 g. The student adds 10.15 mL of the unknown to the beaker. The mass of the beaker and the
unknown is 56.750 g. What is the density of the unknown?A. 31.07 g/mL B. 5.591 g/mL C. 3.061 g/mL D.